Next month I’ll be heading to Vegas for this year’s National Council on Public History conference. As usual, this conference is shaping up to be the highlight of my academic travel for the year. If you’re on the fence about registration you have until April 4th to complete pre-conference registration. After that date, registration is only available onsite.
The schedule looks fantastic with a great mixture of walking tours, panels, roundtables, and workshops. I’m really looking forward to learning from folks and connecting with public historians from across the United States and Canada.
I haven’t selected which panels I will be attending during the conference but there are a number of events that I will definitely be participating in either as a facilitator or as a participant. If you’re interested in connecting with me during the conference feel free to contact me before hand. Otherwise, you can look for me at the following events:
- Membership Committee Twitter Chat focused on all things #npch2018. This virtual event will be held on April 3rd from 11:30-12:30 ET on twitter. Join us using the hashtag #ncph2018 to share your conference survival tips or to ask questions.
Wednesday April 18
- First Time Attendee and Conference Connections Meetup (5:30-6:00pm). Great opportunity to ease into the conference if you are new!
- Opening Reception (6:00-7:30 pm). There will be food!
Thursday April 19
- My term on the NCPH Board doesn’t start until after the end of this year’s annual meeting, but as a learning opportunity I’ll be sitting in on the Board of Directors meeting from 8am to 1pm.
- Pop-Up: What does NCPH mean to you? (3:00-3:30pm) Hosted by the membership committee, this pop-up is a great change to talk about why you love public history and where you see the public history field going in the next ten years.
- Poster Session and Reception (5:00-7:00pm)
Friday April 20
- Membership Committee Meeting (8:30-10:00am)
- Sharing the Power: The Role of Public History in Reconciling Indigenous-Settler Narratives (10:30am-12:00pm) I’m speaking on this panel with a lot of other fantastic folks. You should come.
- Public Plenary: Breaking Barriers in Public Storytelling (6:00-7:30pm)
- 3rd Annual Great Canadian NCPH Gathering (8pm)
Saturday April 21
- Awards Breakfast and Presidential Address (8:00-10:00am)
Image credit: NCPH